I don’t know about you but this is something I’ve thought about a lot recently! I do enjoy a delicious home-made burger and, my husband LOVES them! Have you ever wondered if it’s not a sin to eat a burger every day?
Well my answer is YES ITS OK!! Providing they are home-made and you are conscious in your decisions about the ingredients.
Let’s start from the inside out.
- Protein: Choose a fresh, lean protein such as, chicken breast, fish, kangaroo or 5-star lean beef. Lean red meat is a great source of zinc so, don’t knock it before you try it. The reason to avoid fatty meat is due to saturated fat which raises cholesterol. Also, avoid cold, processed meats.
- Fresh vegetables: this is your time to shine! What are you feeling like? Spinach, lettuce, carrot, beetroot, red onion, tomato, capsicum, mushroom, cucumber, zucchini, pumpkin the list is endless…
- Fermented foods: have you ever thought about adding sauerkraut or kim-chi for a kick?
- Healthy fats: avocado, organic cheese, or an organic egg – simple.
- Sauces: I love Chobani tzatziki and choose organic, organic sweet chilli, tahini, harrisa, whole-grain mustard, have you ever thought about home-made pesto, hummus or tamato-relish? Get creative J
- The bun: choose a whole grain bun and grill it in the oven for a few minutes so it’s crispy. Make sure the bread has 1 gram of fiber for every 10 grams of carbs. You can also go for a sourdough which has lots of bacteria due to fermentation. Otherwise there’s also sprouted grain. Or maybe a lettuce cup, divide a tomato in half, or what about a sweet potato patty?
*Eat with a side of salad to get those micro nutrients and fiber in to you plus keep you fuller for longer!
Good for the figure, good for the brain, good for the soul.
Don’t forget that you only need a certain amount of each macro nutrient in a day so, take the combinations of all meals in a day into consideration & hit your daily targets to the best of your ability. Always eat a well-rounded diet and get to the gym every day!